On the south side of Lake Burley Griffin, the Gallery is adjacent to the High Court and The National Portrait Gallery within walking distance from the National Library and Old Parliament House.
- Address: Parkes Place, Canberra ACT 2600, Australia
- Geo-code: for GPS: -35.300096,149.136311
- Get detailed directions here (Google maps)
See the Visit Canberra website for accommodation and exhibition package deals.
Parking and access
At peak times please be aware that it may be difficult locating a parking space.
The National Gallery has two car parks.
- Underground (off Parkes Place)
opens at 9:50 am and has a 3-hour limit.
- Aboveground (off Bowen Drive)
opens at 9:45 am and has no time limit. Access to the Gallery from this car park is via the Sculpture Garden.
- Accessible parking for people with limited mobility is available in both NGA car parks. Assisted lift access to the Gallery is available from the underground car park off Parkes Place.
The closest bus stop to the Gallery is a 5-minute walk. For additional details call the ACT bus line 131710 or visit action.act.gov.au
- Weekday routes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 63, 80, 727
- Saturday and Sunday routes 934, 938
A hop on–hop off tourist minibus services the NGA daily. For more information and bookings see Explorer Bus
Direct dropoff at the front entrance.
- Call Cabxpress 6260 6011
- Canberra Cabs 13 2227
- For wheelchair access cabs call 612 615 596
Call Canberra Hire Cars 6126 1577.
Walking / Cycling
Walking from the city to the Gallery will take approx. 30 minutes or 10 minutes cycling. A walk from the Bus Depot Markets car park (available Mon-Sat) will take 20 minutes (see map below).