Group visits & bookings
National Gallery of Australia
Gift of Sunday Reed 1977 more detail
The Gallery offers a range of tours, talks and lectures covering a range of topics relating to the Gallery's collections and exhibitions including art and design history, architecture, literature and history. Guided tours of the permanent collection and special exhibitions are available on request and are free of charge.
The special tours and lectures related to exhibitions are aimed at a various audiences – check the listing below or go to What's On for more information.
- Online booking form
- Download printable booking form (pdf) or (RTF)
- Gallery map (2MB PDF)
- Risk assessment | Accessibility
- email GroupBookings@nga.gov.au
phone +61 2 6240 6519
fax: +61 2 6240 6560
- Early childhood tours are 30–45 minute tours of the Gallery specially designed for young children and conducted by trained voluntary guides, Gallery Educators are available on request;
- Learning to look discovery tours introduce students to works of art and their context through a 45–60 minute discussion (conducted by voluntary guides and recommended for upper primary school students);
- Visual art in context discussion tours take 45–60 minutes and can be tailored to a theme of your choice and/or linked to study areas (conducted by Gallery educators and recommended for secondary school students);
- Special access tours for groups with special needs and abilities;
- Special interest group tours for community groups, clubs and societies, conferences and VIPs;
- Self-guided tour groups are welcome. We recommend all groups book with the Gallery, even if you choose to self-guide.
Schools can book groups into the Gallery from 10.00 am (AEST) weekdays. A minimum of one supervising adult to 15–20 students is required for school group tours, with the ratio of one adult to six children in early childhood tours. Entry is free to the collection and to special exhibitions for booked groups and students aged 16 and under.
Booked tours require at least two weeks notice. Please contact us about your visit even if a coach or tour company is organising your excursion. The return of our Confirmation of Education Service form will ensure you receive the service you require. Please contact us promptly if your plans change.
Tours in languages other than English and guided tours may be arranged. Email email@example.com or phone +61 2 6240 6588 for more information about specialised tours.
Please note that all hire of Gallery spaces is subject to availability, as negotiated with the Events Coordinator on +61 2 6240 6711. For more information go to Hire of Gallery Spaces on this site.