Assistant Curator, Australian Prints and Drawings
NGA Level 4
Position Number: Sup 294
The occupant of this position reports to and provides research and collection management assistance to the Senior Curator Australian Prints and Drawings (which comprises prints, posters, illustrated books and drawings, watercolours, pastels, collages and sketchbooks).The Assistant Curator position has two distinct roles: primarily assisting the Senior Curator with the research and coordination for an upcoming Australian print publication and assisting with general curatorial and department duties.
- Assist the Senior Curator with research for the writing and publication of Printed (Volume 3) and associated tasks including drafting captions, proofreading and overseeing the movement of works of art for the purpose of conservation and photography.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Curator assist with the cataloguing of Australian prints and drawings and with a focus on web-based delivery of information, update the Gallery’s collection management database.
- In consultation with the Senior Curator prepare acquisition submissions and coordinate external Loans requests.
- Maintain departmental records; assist with the preparation of correspondence and responses to professional and public enquiries.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, or equivalent, and a demonstrated interest and knowledge in Australian Prints and Drawings .
- Well developed research and organisational skills and the ability to work methodically with limited supervision to meet Departmental priorities and deadlines.
- A demonstrated knowledge of collection management databases and experience in data base entry. Experience in the use of KE EMu, as used by the Gallery, would be desirable
- Well developed computer literacy skills and a demonstrated knowledge and interest in web-based access initiatives in relation to collections.
- Effective written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Assistant Curator, Australian Prints and Drawings is expected to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the NGA, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of Gallery employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the Gallery’s legal obligations for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position No: Sup 294
Position: Assistant Curator (Australian Prints and Drawings)
Classification: NGA Level 4
Section: Australian Prints and Drawings
Immediate Supervisor: Senior Curator (Australian Prints and Drawings)
Status: Non-ongoing specified term
Hours per week: Full time 37.5 hours