NGA Level 2/3
Position No.: Several
These positions are in the Documentation & Storage Section of the Registration Department. Registration Officers assist in the art storage and preventative maintenance of the collection by undertaking the handling, transport, storage, packing, location and documentation of the Gallery’s collection. Subject to previous experience, officers are required to successfully complete 6 months training as an NGA 2 before commencing as an NGA 3. Registration Officers at the NGA 3 level assist in the training of NGA 2’s.
Under general direction:
- Assist in coordinating the art storage areas and undertake storage activities associated with the Gallery’s collection in-house and off-site, including undertaking the movement of artworks and preparing artworks for transport.
- Update art movement information on the Collections Management System (CMS) and ensure all locations are accurate and updated in a timely manner.
- Assist in the preventative maintenance of the Gallery’s collection by undertaking improved packing/repacking programs for works of art in storage in accordance with accepted Gallery practice.
- In accordance with the Gallery’s collections policy, provide assistance to curatorial staff and visitors to storage areas in accordance with agreed timetables.
- Contribute to registration projects as required.
- Experience in the administration and physical requirements involved in the handling and movement of a wide range of works of art which includes correct manual handling techniques and procedures and a level of fitness commensurate with the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated computerised collection management skills, preferably EMU and an understanding of their application to registration procedures.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to show initiative and exercise sound judgement.
- Well developed organisational skills and the ability to work effectively within a small team environment to achieve department and corporate priorities.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Registration Officer is expected to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the NGA, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of NGA employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the NGA’s legal obligation for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.
Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position Nos: 7200, 7203, 7205, 7207, 7218, 7220, 7221
Position: Registration Officer
Classification: NGA Level 2/3
Program: Exhibitions & Collection Services
Immediate Supervisor: Senior Registration Officer, Collection and Storage
Status: Ongoing and non-ongoing
Hours per week: Full time : 37.5