Assistant Registrar, Loans & Exhibitions
NGA Level 5/6
Position numbers 7206, 7209, 7210, 7215
These positions are in the National Gallery's Registration Department and are responsible for loans from and to the Gallery for the purposes of display and exhibition.
Under the direction of the Associate Registrar, Loans & Exhibitions
- Coordinate and prepare documentation associated with loans to and from the Gallery for specific Gallery exhibition projects. Ensure compliance with contractual, transport and security requirements. Establish appropriate insurance coverage, packing, crating, courier arrangements and other special conditions of loan.
- In accordance with the Gallery's policies, coordinate loan requests for specifically assigned loan projects. Liaise with the borrowers, shipping agents and Gallery art services, travelling exhibitions and curatorial and conservation staff, regarding the scheduling and allocation of resources for specific loans.
- Provide planning advice, cost estimates and assistance to the Associate Registrar for the efficient implementation of loan projects. Identify all costs and coordinate and oversee invoicing arrangements associated with specific loans.
- Assist with research, and contribute to the development of policies, practices and procedures, in relation to collections management issues associated with loans.
- Participate as required in Registration related loans projects, both within and outside the Department.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Museum registration operating practises administrative systems and a knowledge of contractual conditions applicable to loans.
- Demonstrated computerised collections management skills and an understanding of their application to Museum registration procedures.
- Effective written and oral communications skills including the ability to negotiate and liaise at all levels and represent the Gallery in dealings and negotiations with external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake detailed administrative work and to work in a cooperative environment in a climate of shifting priorities, with the expertise to achieve required outcomes.
- Relevant supervisory experience and the ability to work under pressure, and plan, prioritise, organise and bring to completion loan projects.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Assistant Registrar, Loans and Exhibitions is expected to take all reasonable, practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the NGA, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of NGA employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the NGA's legal obligations for WH&S are met in relation to systems of work.
Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position No: 7206, 7209, 7210, 7215
Position: Assistant Registrar, Loans and Exhibitions
Classification: NGA Level 5/6
Program: Exhibitions and Collection Services
Immediate Supervisor: Associate Registrar, Loans & Exhibitions
Hours per week: Full time 37.5