Assistant Curator, Asian Art
NGA Level 5
Position Number: 4352
The Assistant Curator, Asian Art will provide curatorial and organisational assistance to the Asian Art Department. This includes undertaking administration, liaising with staff across the gallery, researching and cataloguing works in the collection, preparing works of art for exhibition and undertaking special projects as required, working under the supervision of and reporting to the Curator of Asian Art.
Assist with the administration, exhibition, care and management of the Asian art collection under the supervision of the Curator of Asian Art. Main duties include the following:
- Assist with the day-to-day administration of the Asian Art department, including preparation of correspondence and responses to professional and public inquiries.
- Assist with and prepare submissions to Council for the acquisition of works of art.
- Assist with the organisation of exhibitions and displays within the Asian art exhibition program, as well as with the cataloguing and collection management aspects of the collection.
- Under limited supervision, oversee the movement of works of Asian art for the purposes of exhibition, conservation, photography and storage.
- Research, write and assist with coordinating publishing on aspects of the Asian art collection, as well as with the presentation of public programs.
- A broad knowledge of Asian art, combined with expertise in one or more relevant areas, and a degree in art history or relevant field of study with Asian specialisation, preferably at graduate level. Knowledge of an Asian language relevant to the collection would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in museum practices and procedures, including the display of works of art, the organisation of exhibitions, cataloguing of works of art and the maintenance of accurate electronic and manual records.
- Proven administrative skills. Ability to work on several projects simultaneously, organising and prioritising to meet specified deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- Evidence of effective skills in written and oral communication with experience in public speaking and demonstrated expertise in undertaking research and publishing material on relevant aspects of Asian art.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a team and in establishing good working relationships with multi-disciplined staff teams and gallery clients.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Assistant Curator Asian Art is expected to take all reasonable practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the gallery, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of Gallery employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the gallery’s legal obligations for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position No: 4352
Position: Assistant Curator – Asian Art
Classification: NGA Level 5
Program: International Art
Section: Asian Art
Immediate Supervisor: Curator of Asian Art
Status: Full time
Hours per week: 37.5